Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Great Games Worth a Try

Ever since I stepped back from any form of organized play in WoW, I've been looking for new games to play.  I impulse buy a little too much on Steam deals, and even on XBL deals (xbox live).

Here are some games and my thoughts:

The Stanley Parable
8/10

This game comes with a lot of critical acclaim, and I found that it generally delivered.  I did buy it at a deal, so I'm not bothered by just how short the game is.  I played about 10 hours, and that was long enough.  Put some headphones on, and give it a try.

War Thunder
7/10

A war game with the promise of ultimately combining land, sea, and air battles.  So far, only air battles are in the open beta game.  I have played the game quite a lot because it offers what I often am looking for the most - rewarding play in short play time (30 mins to 1 hour).  And if you don't play much, you can easily pick the game right back up as the controls (at least for arcade) are straight forward.

Grand Theft Auto V
10/10

What else is there to say - I enjoyed the game tremendously.  It was fun to have the option of switching characters, particularly to Trevor (what on earth will he be up to now - dripping on and yelling at people lying on the beach in his tighty whiteys?).

The online mode is a little too 'meh' - I tried it, trolled a few players, got trolled myself.  That's about it.

Saints Row IV
9/10

This game is not what you think it is.  In fact, some reviews even complain that there is no point in having cars.  But that moment in the game where you can run at ridiculous speeds and jump building to building....Wow.  Saints Row IV is pure, unadulterated fun.  Don't compare it to GTA, it's a completely different game.  Highly recommended.

Hearthstone
7/10

A card game that is accessible and fun - and ultimately 'blizzard-style'.  I enjoy it, but personally I think this game is desperately calling out for a mobile app.  Hearthstone on iPad?  Yes please.

Diablo 3
7/10

Oddly I found myself back in Diablo 3.  I had originally completed the game on Normal, but couldn't care less to go back through the same game on harder difficulties for level and gear grinding.  However, with the new Battle.net launcher, plus the upcoming expansion, I found myself back in the game.  I leveled to 60, completed Nightmare, Hell, and 1/2 of Inferno.  The pick up and play element with groups is perfect for short play sessions.  I've since dropped it again, but it was fun.

Assassins Creed IV:  Black Flag
6/10

I picked up this game on the PC after I had built my new desktop.  There is a lot of fanfare around this game - not only for the game itself but also the graphics.  I find the graphics good, but not 'amazing'.  The game itself is at it's best when you are upgrading your ship and in intense ship to ship battles on the high seas...particularly in bad weather.  The game suffers in a number of the missions that are slow and grindy.  The sneaking element to a number of missions is awkward, and I stopped playing because of it.

Might & Magic: Heroes VI
6/10

I have extremely fond memories of playing Might & Magic Heroes in hot seat mode way back in the day.  I picked up this game with that nostalgia at the forefront.  I've played 2 hours in a month, and just can't seem to get into it.

Star Wars - The Old Republic (SWTOR)
5/10

All the problems remain.  Grindy.  Slow-paced.  No support for short play sessions.  The new patch with ship battles is in a sandbox/instance.  All I ever wanted was to fly off a planet into space, use hyperspace, and explore.  The entire game is a sandbox.  Copies WoW too much for issues like talent builders (really - a talent that increases x ability by y% - why?).

I punish this game because the promise was so high.  I think KOTOR is one of the greatest games ever made, with an engaging story.  SWTOR's character stories, while occasionally interesting, pale in comparison.

Planetside 2
N/A

Joining this game as a total nub was interesting.  I found a way to join a group, which I did.  Voice chat is built right in, so I was thrust right into it....and found how seriously people take this game.  I like that actually - but I haven't been back into the game much.  It seems like it could be epic PVP, but it felt like the old Warhammer online world PVP - running from base to base taking them over with your enemy doing the same, but rarely meeting up.

League of Legends, DOTA 2, Etc.
N/A

I just can't get into these games.  They are somewhat fun, but the curve to get to any reasonable knowledge level and skill with the sheer number of toons and builds out there is too much.  It's probably because I'd rather not play if I can't play enough to be reasonably good at it.








No comments:

Post a Comment